Here at West Midlands Education & Skills we understand that parents and guardians want to help as much as possible with the learner’s education. We have put together a list of useful sites and tips to support the learners.
The school has a wide range of people available to help parents and carers with any issues they may have.
• Individual Tutors who are the first point of contact for all routine issues and concerns.
• Heads of department for Specialist Provision
• Chair of Governors for issues that are not resolved satisfactorily after all other channels have been explored.
Revision sites and advice for parents and guardians
We are aware that many of our parents wish to help their child with their studies as much as they possibly can. With this in mind we have compiled a list of some useful revision and education web sites and advice.
- S-cool Revision Website
- BBC Bitesize
- Revision notes and course notes
- GCSE Pod (for GCSE revision podcasts to download)
- Practise Papers from Exam Boards
Guides and websites by subject
Art and Design
• BBC Learning – Art & Design
• Visit Birmingham – Heritage Culture
• National Careers Service – Special Education Teacher Professional Development
• Gov.UK – Rights
• BBC Skillswise – Maths
• OCR – Functional Skills Testing
• National Careers Service – Painter & Decorator
Hair and Barbering
• YouTube – French Braid Tutorial
• The NEC – Beauty
• Carpenters Workshop – Exhibitions
• Explain That Stuff – Wood
• BBC Bitesize – Hospitality
• The Caterer
• Skills Workshop – Catering
• OCR – Functional Skills
• BBC – Skillswise
• The FA
• Sport Options
• IFA Sport
At West Midlands Education & Skills we give advice for both staff and students on internet safety and we believe that parents need the same understanding. The information below gives a good outline of how to be safe when using the internet.
More information about staying safe online is available at:
- CLICK CLEVER, CLICK SAFE! A government campaign to advise parents on how to keep their children safe
- UK Council for Child Internet Safety (UKCCIS)
- Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP)
- UK Safer Internet Centre
- Childnet International
- SWGFL (South West Grid for Learning)
- Digital Citizens
- Facebook Privacy
- Get Net Wise